Monday, November 11, 2013

I'm Still Alive!!

Family and Friends- 

I'm still alive!! I made it through the super typhoon!! Haha Here's the story...

So Thursday was transfer day and I was at the mission home to pick up my new anak!! Her name is Sister Maagad and she is Filipino. Super nice, kind and way smart! So talented and way helpful in helping me with everything. Especially tagalog. I think I'm going to learn the language a lot faster with her :) Anyway, I love her and we already have a great companionship, it's weird being a trainer though! Haha 

Anyway, we were eating lunch when the assistant to the president came up to me and said there was no boats. And wouldn't be for a while because of the super typhoon that was coming right our way. So I was practically evacuated. Haha But I was with Sister Malig and her anak, and Sister Reed, my MTC companion! A family reunion! Haha It was kinda stressful the rest of that day, hurrying to their apartment, getting water, food...hard by the way because I didn't have my 72 hour kit and other personal stuff so I had to learn to go without. And I wore the same outfit for five days! Haha Just wash my clothes every night...but thankful Sister Reed is the same size and I wore one of her outfits one day :) Anyway, it was just kinda intense at first, not knowing what was going to happen but I knew that Lord would protect us. We only lost power a few times, mostly during the night when the storm was at it's worst and in the morning. But we had water and practically just camped out at their apartment. There was no flooding were I was at and the storm was powerful but not much damage in Lipa. Though, Mindoro was off worse. Calapan is ok, nothing too bad, some roofs are missing, trees blown over and messy streets but overall it's almost all cleaned up and I don't think too many were injured or killed. I was really nervous that a tidal wave could happen but nothing like that happened, thank goodness because Calapan is right next to the ocean. But some of the other places in Mindoro had flooding, my District leader had flooding all around his apartment and they were without power and water for a couple of days...things like that just happen here. 

I missed my Mindoro so much though and couldn't help worrying a bit. But the Lord protected us, as well as the people I've come to love here. Ting's texted me as well as members checking up on us; there's just a great love and concern here for each other when things like this happen. 

Overall, all is well!! I made it with not much trouble. So don't worry but I guess another two typhoons are coming. I don't know how bad they'll be but I am well protected here, things happen but I know that the Lord protects his missionaries. We just have to do our part to protect ourselves. 

Thank you for checking up on me! I had a feeling my family and friends would hear about it and would be worrying. Haha It made me even more look forward to Monday to let you know I was okay! Haha I'm so grateful though that Mom was able to talk to Sister Hansen, I'll for sure thank her next time I see her. 

I love you all!! Take care!!

Love, Sister Burnham 

No comments:

Post a Comment