Monday, October 20, 2014

"You May Rescue...You May Save."



Magandang hapon po sa inyo lahat!!
This week was GRRRRREAT!! I swear, miracles are happening and it's been great. Blessings truly do come after much tribulation. But first I just have to share what my cute companion said the other day...she was reading off words in english during language study and read "dome". She asked what that was so I drew a picture and she said, "Oh, parang bahay ng ants! Oh, like a house for ants!" Haha It was so funny!! Oh how I love Filipinos!
So the reason for my title. This past week I thought a lot of the song "Brightly Beams, Our Father's Mercy" as we had miracles take place. We visited this former investigator that has been a lifelong investigator because she's not married to her less active husband. So we stopped by and brother actually opened up to us and we taught both of them and they opened up how they want to come back to church and sister Mhae still wants to be baptized! They even came to church! It was great :) We even have fellowshippers for them...that is always a good thing....The second story was like the first too but this one is closer to my heart. So after Bro. Nelson, the other sisters recent convert was baptized, we visited the Gregorio's one night for Sister Lacanienta to say goodbye. As we were there and I was talking to drunk Jonathon, the strongest impression came to me saying, "Teach Jonathon again with Nelson." I knew that was the Spirit, so once Sister Dadivas came, we went to Jonathon with Nelson. Jonathon was not for it, but after Nelson shared about his life, how he basically rose above all the filth and sins of everything and how the gospel changed him, with the Savior's help. Jonathon listened, and he agreed to have us come back again. And we did, and we taught another great lesson where tears were shed. I knew that this was an answer to a missionaries prayer, but as well to his family's prayers. I don't know what will happen later down the road for Jonathon and when he will finally enter the waters of baptism. I probably won't be here but that doesn't matter. I just want him and his family to be happy and to have every blessing that I have with my family. It will take time and lots of effort to change but what I do know with all my heart is that the atonement is real and people can change. It's the most beautiful thing I've seen on my mission, not the ocean or the beauty of the Philippines, but the atonement changes people's lives. It's real.


Brightly beams our Father's mercy
From his lighthouse evermore,
But to us he gives the keeping
Of the lights along the shore.
Dark the night of sin has settled;
Loud the angry billows roar.
Eager eyes are watching, longing,
For the lights along the shore.
Trim your feeble lamp, my brother;
Some poor sailor, tempest-tossed,
Trying now to make the harbor,
In the darkness may be lost.   
Let the lower lights be burning;
Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor fainting, struggling seaman
You may rescue, you may save.


I know that we are those lower lights. Keep them burning so that you may rescue, and you may save. I love you all and I hope you have a great week!! Make miracles happen!
 
Love, Sister Burnham
 

"Celebrating birthdays with the Tongans and the Samoans........CRAZY!!!"


"Exchanges with some of the best sisters!"


"Calapan members"

 


"Underwear drying outside our house....nice."



No comments:

Post a Comment