Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Easters.... More Fun in the Philippines?

Kumusta Family and Friends!
Happy Easters! I hope you had a good one coloring eggs and what not. I kinda missed that this year, that don't do that hear but they do something quite different...or the missed up Catholics do. So, on Friday, three days before the resurrection, the Catholics had a parade. But this was no normal parade...it was guys with coverings over their faces and practically whipping themselves on their backs with sharp metal chains. Ya...that was interesting. It was actually gross, and they were everywhere! Ugh, and even in some other places they crucify themselves. Talk about dark, di ba? Pangit...Supposedly it's their repentance...me and Sister Temaaka we're walking through this field the other day and they were practicing for it. Kinda creepy but one guy said to me, "I'm repenting." All I could say back is "Don't hurt yourself too much." Haha They weren't mean but it was quite a sight. So ya, that's how my easters went. I don't think I'll be too disappointed that I'll miss next years. Haha 
Anyways, onto a lighter note, we had such a fun FHE with Sandy and her granddaughter and neighbors kids loved Don't Eat Pete. Thank you for sending that, it's been the highlight of our FHE. Haha Sandy is doing great, her baptism is May 3rd. Hopefully I'll be here for it. I found out tomorrow about transfers and then transfer day is Thursday. I feel like 50/50 on all of it. But my guess is that Sister Temaaka will be leaving. I think President wants me to lead this area still. Which I'm okay with, I feel like I've done a lot for this area so I want to keep it going. It would be kinda sad to leave it. But I guess you'll find out next week! The STL's came and did exchanges with us this week and they kept saying I'm going to become a STL next transfer...yikes! Haha I don't think I'm ready for that but it would be fun to visit all the sisters...but I'm okay if I'm not :) Haha :) 
So interesting story this week is that I had my first lesson in english! And it was a lot harder than I thought it would be! Haha :) We meet a white American guy the other week, Joey who of course is married to a Filipina here. He's only in about his 30's and he's from Ohio. We followed up with him the other day and it was really hard to do it in english! I realized how awkward it is in American culture just to show up at someone's house and talk about the gospel and even pray. Haha In Philippines culture, not so weird to them. But to an American it was weird and I think he was weirded out by it. Haha I'm glad that my mission isn't in the states. Haha :) But it was okay, after the awkward beginning, he really opened up to us and he has such deep questions of the soul, talaga. He's really lost and confused in this life...really. It opened up my eyes of how lost people really are in this life. And how sad it is to me that they don't know that there is so much more to this life. I'll let you know if anymore comes from it...sana. 
It was a really good week though, besides the weird easter celebration, it was good. Went by so fast though, every week goes by faster and faster. I only have about 35 weeks left. So sad. Haha I love it hear and I'm feeling like I'm really enjoying every part of missionary life now. This is my life. Ya, I might still not be the perfect missionary, the best teacher, or not even fluent in tagalog yet but I'm happy and I'm enjoying everything about my life as a ,missionary. It's so good. I'm glad that I took this path. 
I love you all so much! Thank you for your support and love! All I can ask is help the missionaries out in your areas, even just a simple dinner is plenty. Especially at the end of the month because we have no money. Haha :) And of course, give someone a piece of heaven and make a difference today. That's what I've been telling Sister Temaaka everyday before we go out. "Let's go make a difference!" And I feel like we do, even if it's small, we made a difference. 
Mahal ko kayo!
Love, Sister Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment