Monday, August 19, 2013

First Week in the Philippines

  Family and Friends!

I am so happy it's p-day because I finally tell you all about the
Philippines!! I'm still trying to believe that I am actually here!
It's definetly a whole new world here but I already love it so so
much!
Monday we flew out- flights weren't bad and we got in the Philippines
Tuesday night. We went to a hotel in Manila for the night where we had
a total of 3 hours for sleep. Nice huh? It was an adventure-
especially with the monkey outside and heat of the humidity. Oh ya,
it's really humid and warm here- just so you're all aware! I haven't
been completely dry since I've been here! Haha Exciting, huh?
Wednesday I finally got to meet my Mission President and his wife.
They are truly amazing and it was nice to finally make it to the
mission home. The next day I got my new companion- Sister Malig. Yes,
she is Philippino :) And she is the cutest Philippino of all! I love
her so so much! She's always giving me hugs and always has a smile on
her face. I'm her first anak (kid) and she's my nanay (mom). She's a
hard worker and makes me work hard but it's super good and she's so
encouraging.
Thursday I finally got to go to my first area!! And I am on an island!
It's the island of Mindora and I'm the city of Calapan. We had to take
a boat ride to get to our area- haha I'm sure we looked hilarous
taking my suitcases on to the boat and trying to balance everything.
But we made it there fine and we had the missionary couple pick us up
along with two Elders. I guess there's only two sets of Elders and two
sets of Sisters on the islands. I got lucky to be assigned here :) And
I love it! It's maganda!! Beautiful!! So green and pretty, life can't
get better than this! :)
Friday was my first day of teaching. And they were right- I feel like
I learned another language in the MTC. Haha just kidding- I learned
tagalog but they speak so so fast!! I can hardly keep up!! Most the
time I just smile and say opo!! Pero, the first day of teaching was
good :) I tried to speak as much as I could- thank goodness I have a
Philippino companion! Haha she's a blessing :) My favorite lesson that
day was with Irene, she's a less active, way less active. We taught
her the Book of Mormon and I really felt the Spirit work through me as
I bore my testimony about it to her. In her prayer she thanked me for
that testimony and was so excited when we gave her a copy of the Book
of Mormon. I hope and pray that she'll come back to the fold.
Saturday we had a full day!! We seriously went up into the
mountain/jungle area of the island. No joke! It was so beautiful and
it was so humbling to see how these people live. Most of them live in
a one room shack, with a tin roof. And it's small- one sister's home
was the size of mom and dad's walk in closet. It only had their beds
in there and that was it. It's amazing to me. And these people are so
loving and so happy. They don't have anything but are grateful for
what they do have. Oh and the kids- these are the cutest kids! All day
on Saturday- kids running toward us shouting "Sisters!!" They are so
so cute!! And they just stare at me, it's not very often that they get
to see this white American. Haha so many people say how beautiful I
am, white skin is in!! Haha But, some have told me that I am chubby
too :( Haha But that's a good thing here! My kasama even tells me that
and how she wants to gain weight. Being big and white is a beautiful
and good in there culture. Haha I think I like this place :)
Sunday I had to bear my testimony in our little Calapan Branch- it was
very broken tagalog. Haha But the Saints here are so sweet! They all
are so loving and so kind. I already love the people here so much :)
I'm excited to get to know them better. We also had FHE last night
with two families and it was a blast! Mom, your baby powder came in
use with a game we played last night haha I'll try to send pictures :)
Today is p-day so we did cleaning and washed our clothes by hand. It
takes a long time and it's very tiring!! Haha Let's just say, I won't
ever take washing machines for granted again!!
The only problem I've come up against is the language. I'm trying to
not worry about it too much but at the same time I just want to be
able to understand and speak. Though this week, I'm going to work
harder with it and try to teach more with the Spirit. And take that
step of faith by just talking and having the words given to me. It
scares me but I know that's how I'll get it.
It was so good to hear from all of you! I'm having a great time here!
Riding in tricycles, wiping sweat off my face every minute, and
getting bitten by bugs like crazy, and eating lots and lots of rice!
But all is well :) It's been quite the adventure so far and I love it.
I love you all and I can't wait to hear from you all next p-day!
Mahal ko kayo!
Mahal, Sister Burnham
 
These little kids are so cute!!! 


Sister Burnham and Sister Malig 

A Philippino taxi???


No comments:

Post a Comment