Wednesday, August 7, 2013

One More Week!

Kumusta!!
 
I can't believe I only have one week left here at the MTC!! It's been so much fun to be here- and to see how much I have learned and grown. I think I've been changing as well but for the better. Missions do change people. But overall this week has been great!!
 
I got my flight plans yesterday! We had to wait outside the mailing room for Elder Finch, our district leader to bring them to us and when he finally came out we practically all screamed from excitiment! Haha Then he had us come running down like we were being called to a showcase on the price is right! Haha Let's just say, we were all really excited! So I am going in a group of about 15 people- I'll  be with all the San Pablo missionaries! Woot woot! We are going to Portland to Toyko, Japan!! (So cool!!) Then on to Manila, Philippines!! I'll be leaving the MTC about 7:30 in the morning next Monday so I'll probably be calling home around 9-10:00. My flight is at 11ish so just be expecting a call in next Monday morning. I'll probably call your cell phone mom :)
 
So I'll just tell you what I did this last week- Last Saturday was Sis. Brewer's birthday! We celebrated it as a district by playing missionary phrase/picture game and eating cupcakes Elder Parry's mom sent us. It was super nice of her to do that. Sunday I was asked to be the Sister Training Leader- both me and my kasama. I kinda had a feeling it was coming because the last Sister Training Leaders were dropping hits and I just wasn't suprised when Bro. Howard asked us. I was nervous at first to be in charge of everyone but that didn't last long. I love this calling! I get to know and love the sisters more in ways that weren't possible before. And we basically have the best sisters in our zone. We also have great Zone Leaders. They are just hilarous and I love working with them. So far the calling has been a blessing to me.
 
Monday we taught two lessons to our "investigators" (aka our teachers) and they just get better and better. I love teaching! It's amazing too when the Spirit directs you and you know what to say- even in tagalog. I'm still not perfect with the language- actually far from it. But the Spirit can talk to them when I can't. It's such an amazing experience and I wish everyone could experience it. Me and Sister Reed did get a little discouraged later on in the day- we just felt overwhelmed with our new callings and responsiblites. I felt like my studies- espcially my langauge studies would slack. I was just getting worried and concerned on my progress. But we seriously have the best teachers here at the MTC- Bro. Kovach talked to us and he gave such good advice. He said how our lessons with him are so good and that we need not to worry as long as we teach with the Spirit- because the language will come. He's just an amazing teacher- he cares so much about our district and gives his all to us. I wish him and Sister Briggs could come with us to the Philippines.
 
Later on though, Sister Reed was still feeling down. She had a "dark cloud" over her head. (Read Helaman 5- greatest chapter!!) Anyway, she was just really struggling. Our Elders offered to give her a blessing of comfort. And it was exactly what she needed. Afterwards they offered to it to me as well and at first I thought I was fine, that I didn't need one. But I felt the prompting to have one and I'm so glad I did. I really did need that blessing of comfort. Afterwards, we went through our whole district- all recieving blessings to get us through these next last two weeks in the MTC. I'll tell you- never had I felt so much power from blessings before. Even though they were simple blessings of comfort- you could feel the Spirit so strongly in our classroom. These 18 year old Elders and for many was their first time giving blessings- brought the Spirit in so strongly, that at one point I thought I was in the temple. The power of the priesthood is real. And the power missionaries have is real. I will never forget that experience that we had together as a district and the blessings and comfort that blessed upon me. It was a beautiful blessing.
 
Tuesday I got to welcome the International missionaries!! Especially the sisters- we have two sisters from a little island by Fuji- I'm terrible but I can never remember the name of the island they are from. But what great faith they have- to leave there families, get on a plane that is so foreign to them and come to a place where they are surrounded by two languages they can hardly understand. And they are the happiest and sweetest missionaries. I love them so much and it was an honor to welcome them and spend the evening with them. Wednesday the rest of the new missionaries came and we got to welcome them as well. There's three missionaries here that are from N. Ogden!! One knows Jaron!! His name is Elder Thorpe and he's even from 21st ward. I don't remember him or know his last name- it sounds familar though. So mom, you'll have to remember for me! Haha
 
The rest of the week has gone by great! Except Friday morning I woke up with a sore thoart :( Which is never fun! I still have it and feel really sore and tired. I probably got it by not getting enough sleep and being around some of the other missionaries who were sick. So you know, it's ok. I'll get better and all will be well :)
 
I do have a favor to ask mom :) And you offered! Haha Can you send me some of those ballet socks- you know the half socks. Haha, you can just send them in a small envelope too, that's all I really need. And thank you for the toliet paper- haha you're the best! Hopefully I do get it but if not I'll just become Philippino :) Haha I have those wet wipes you sent me so I should be okay :)
 
I have a story that Bro. Kovach shared with us!! So he said that at one of his apparments in Manila, they had bad cat problems- like they were pests breaking into their face eating their food. So they told their land lord and he told them to just kick them out. Haha Dogs, cats, and rats are on the bottom of the food chain- sometimes they become dinner too :) Anyway, one day they shooed this cat out and it was running towards the road. Well their landlord was standing on the side of the road and when he saw the cat, he kicked it. So much that it got some air and was flying. And while it was up in the air, a bus flew by and hit the cat. Hahaha Isn't that funny?! He said is better in tagalog but we all just died laughing. Instead of bugs on the windshield, it's cats. Hahaha so gross! It's going to be a different culture in the Philippines! But I'm so excited to go! Bro. Mansfield, the one that flew home with Cameron, told me yesterday that he has never meant any other culture on the face of the earth that are the nicest and happiest people but the Philippinos. I believe he's right. I haven't got to know for myself yet but I just know it's true.
 
"What you do with your 18 months, will echo through eternity... A day hasn't gone by where I don't think about my mission. It changed my life." - H. Bryan Richards. (He talked to us Tueaday) I know that my mission has already changed my life, it's amazing.
 
Mahal ko kayo. Salamat para sa mahal at suporta!! Ayous ko kayo!!
 
Mahal, Sister Burnham    
 
P.S. Melece- will you have Kamry email or write me?! I miss her! Salamat!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment