Monday, August 26, 2013

Work, Work, Work!

Family and Friends!
 
Another wow!! This week has been amazing!! We have had great success here in Calapan and it's amazing to see the Lord's hand in our work and how He has prepared people for us. We have 8 investigators with a baptismal date!! (Not till September and October though- need to get them to church and through all the lessons) and we had 13 investigators (4 families) come to church yesterday! Sister Malig said that's a new record. Haha :) It was super exciting and I was so so grateful.   A member in our branch thanked me for working so hard to get investigators to church and I told him it's all Sister Malig but he said, no, it's you too. Sometimes I just feel like I'm not contributing that much since I can't speak very well and most of the time. But there's more you can do without language :) 

So everyday life is waking up at 6:30, working out for a wee bit- (oh, which reminds me! Mom, will you send me an email of all the workouts done in the 10 minutes show? With a brief description? I know that's a lot to ask for but I never know what to do. Haha Or you can make Amber or Robyn do it :) It doesn't have to be that but some kind of workout plan. Salamat!) Then showering with a bucket- always fun. Oh, and they have toliet paper here!! I bought some at the Robinson's market the other day! They actually have about everything I need here- thank goodness! But this market is probably the only one that has toliet paper. We went to a wet market today and man, was that interesting! We bought groceries for dinner with Jane's family (she's getting baptized Sept 14! and her family are taking the lessons!) for tomorrow. And we bought pig ears. Yep, I'm going to eat that tomorrow. We'll see how it goes! But of course I say chicken feet, chicken heads and many unknown things. Just all these food booths lined up- things are crazy here in the Philippines but I love it. But I know you all would laugh if you saw the things I do everyday. Haha most the food I like here so far but the other day I had a duran. It is so so gross! And the smell is so strong, our whole apartment stunk! It's like this weird fruit that's creamy, squishy, and stringy. And smells and tastes funny. Haha You'll see a picture of it :) 

Anyway the rest of my day we study and then go out and find and teach. The beginning of this week it rained, and rained, and rained. Haha So everywhere was super muddy and by the time we got home my feet are caked in mud. Thank goodness for crocs!

We taught a lot this week- about 22 lessons and just go about everywhere. Work, work, work! Something I thought of this week was how blessed I am to teach these people. They literally have nothing. Most live in a one room home, that's made of concrete, boards, and bamboo. Most don't have running water and some don't have electricity. But the thing I love the most about them is how they give so much. And they freely give of there love. They love us so much and are always willing to hear our message. I feel so honored and blessed to serve these people. They truly are the most amazing people and are already a great example to me. To love freely and to be happy despite the problems they have. It's been amazing to see. 

Our investigators are the best of all! First off, we are teaching Sister Jane. She's getting baptized soon and is already like a member. Haha She considers herself one :) Because of her example, her family is now listening to our message. Her son and his girlfriend have accepted to be baptized and we have just started teaching them. And we're still working on Jane's husband but he's warmed up to us a lot to the point we're he's sat in on two lessons. Success! 

We have three families that we're just started to teach but haven't invited to be baptized yet. Two of them came to church though! One of them is our neighbors and we rode to church with them where I sat on the motorcycle instead of inside the cart. Haha Loved it! But they all have such cute kids and we're excited to see the progress take place. Some I can feel that they have been prepared for this. 

I've made a few favorites. Sister Judith is one of them. She reminds me of Kelly Benefield, from work. She even has some of the same problems Kelly has. Lost her husband and is terribly alone. But she is the most loving woman. Haha so much that she wants us to come live with her, free of charge! Haha we told her we can't but we're going out for a lunch/dinner with her today. And she speaks wonderful English! Haha it's nice to understand someone and to hear something familar. Sister Malig speaks great English too but it's nice to be able to communicate with an investigator fully. 

Sister Malig is awesome! We just have a lot in common and get along really well, I just feel bad for her that she has a poor tagalog speaker as a companion.

My biggest concern is tagalog. I pray hard everyday for being able to communicate with these wonderful people. I can understand alot more but it's hard for me to communicate back. It's hard to balance it- not trying to worry too much about it but at the same time learning it and striving to communicate better. I just try to do better each day- that's all you can do sometimes. 

Anyways all is well. I love hearing from all of you! Thank you for the letters :) Keep sending them :) You all mean so much to me and you're in my prayers everyday. Mahal ko kayo! Have a great week! 

Love, Sister Burnham  
 
 I think this is the yucky duran!



Thank goodness for Crocs! 


 Fetchin' some water :)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment