Monday, September 16, 2013

1st Baptism and Planting Seeds!

Kumusta!!

So this week has been CRAZY with lots of things going on!! It was really good though and I had my first baptism!! Sister Jane, it was probably one of the most beautiful baptisms that I've been too. Very simple yet beautiful. And the Spirit was so strong, especially during her testimony. I was just so happy to be a part of her life and a part of her conversion process. It's true about how great will your joy be, I could feel that last Saturday night. 

I love Sister Jane's story too, so exactly 10 years ago she received a Book of Mormon from two Elders but nothing came from it. 10 years later, Sister Malig (my companion) and her last companion meet her in an OYM (open your mouth). She tells them that she already has a Book of Mormon and invites them to come teach them more. Well, the seed was planted 10 years ago, Sept 13, 2003 when she given the Book of Mormon. Then 10 years later she was baptized on Sept 14, 2013 and confirmed on Sept 15. Cool, huh? Those Elders planted a seed and with that she was prepared when Sister Malig and her last companion found her. It just shows you never know what seeds you are planting :) 

Our other investigators are doing good- I invited Sister Dorina to be baptized while I was an exchange with the Sister Training Leader. There's something about inviting people to be baptized, it's a time when I feel the Spirit work through me and I know it was as Sister Dorina answered with a sincere yes and had tears in her eyes. She's amazing and super funny, I love her! She's also our neighbor and her and her family are great. Haha whenever we have problems, like running out of gas, we run over to the neighbors for help. They are just great and we celebrated Oliver's birthday yesterday with them. Oliver is one of her kids and he's so good, he's reading the Book of Mormon as well and always love to read from it when we share a scripture in the lesson. They're a great family. 

I've tried some new foods this week...balot. Yep, the fertilized egg. But I couldn't eat the chick! And Sister Malig wouldn't let me because she doesn't like that part either. But it's weird! First you drink the juice of the egg first and then eat the chick. I just drank a little bit and ate the yellow yoke part but that was it. I couldn't do the chick. But the other missionaries and members told me that I don't become truly Philippino until I eat the chick. So sometime I'll have to. Yikes! Haha I also had squid which was good! It's deep fired and anything deep fried is good :) Haha :) 

I got to go to Training Check-Up this past week which was good but lots of traveling and lots of boat rides. Which I get to do again this week for Zone Conference. Yay! Hopefully it's not wavy again...may sakit ang ulo!! (headache) :( But it was really good and it was great to see my friends from the MTC. Just a good reunion and fun traveling to Lipa and San Pablo. But I think I like Calapan more :) It's starting to become home to me :) 

Well I guess I should end my letter but something that I wanted to share that Sister Malig shared with me last night. I was just getting frustrated and discouraged about the language and wanted to break down last night. She pulled out her scriptures and shared 1 Nephi 3:15 with me. And said "Don't give up, no matter what." I won't. I know that coming here wasn't by accident and that the Lord didn't call me here to fail and he knows that I can do it. Even to speak tagalog. I won't come home till I've accomplished what the Lord has given me to do. It's not easy but I know that He'll make the way for me and give me the strength to climb this mountain. And I know that He will for you in any of your challenges and trials in this life because it's promised. 

I love you all and thank you for your prayers, love and support. I know that they help me everyday and I appreciate them so much. I'm praying for you all as well. 

Mahal ko kayo!

Love, Sister Burnham 
 



Ewwwww.....

 I showed this picture to my roommate and she just about lost her breakfast! GROSS!!!






 



No comments:

Post a Comment