Monday, September 2, 2013

2 Month Mark and Pig Ears!

Kumusta!!

I just realized that tomorrow will be my 2nd month mark! That's insane! At times the mission seems to be going slow but most the time it seems to be going by so so fast! Like I'll begin my day and it seems an hour later I'm ending it. I guess that just means to make the most of your mission everyday because it really is a short time. 

So I love the Philippines!! It is the best place on earth. Yes I'm constantly sweating, eating pig ears- which is probably one of my favorite dishes now! Cameron was right, the things you eat are weird but they way they cook it is oh so good! But I love the people and I love the culture. It's more fun in the Philippines :) 

So this week went a lot better than last week. I was really stressing about the language last week and I decided to not worry about it so much. To do the best I can, come out of my bubble, and really just listen and speak with my heart. Well, it has been going a lot better! I still don't know tagalog, but I can understand about 70% of what's being said. I still struggle with speaking but I'm trying to speak more often and it's starting to pay off. I might take 3 months for me to get the language but that's ok. I have the faith that it will come and I'm at peace now about it. 

So we had yet another busy week, Sister Malig and I. Taught 24 lessons and we have a lot of potential investigators! Mostly families which are my favorite to teach. The kids here, they are the cutest! Seriously, I love them! One family, their son is this cute chubby Fhilippino. Haha He gave me the biggest hug when we left from our FHE lesson with them and kept asking when we would come back. They love so much. Also another family, Greg's family, we just barely meet on Friday- has the cutest kids. The seriously live in the shack on the beach and the dad is a tricycle driver. We found them through OYM (open your mouth) and he really desired to hear more and to teach his family. Well I can already tell that they have been prepared by the Lord. And they have been through so much. Their old son was really sick back in June and had to be in the hospital. During that time, one of their daughters got in a burn accident. All her hair was burned off and it her skin on her head and shoulders got 2nd degree burns. She was in the hospital as well for a month. But they are both fine and healthy now and this family is so happy. They have been through so much, have nothing (seriously, a one room shack with nothing in it) but they are happy and grateful for what they do have and each other. It really touches my heart to see how loving, happy and humble these people are. And they are so open to our message. They came to church on Sunday and I just know we'll be able to keep the progression going with their family. We also have a baptism next Saturday! We're really excited for Sister Jane :) 

So the other day, haha we went over to Nanay Chavez's home and gave a little missionary lesson to her and her family. Afterwards she came with us to teach some lessons. So...haha our way out of her home, there's this little bridge and somehow my shoe got caught on a piece of it, my foot pulled out of it and then my shoe fell into the little stream under the bridge. And this was no ordinary stream. It was muck and who knows what was in it. Haha but it was entertaining using a long stick to pull it out of the muck and then thankfully Sister Chavez washed it off for me. Haha it was just hilarious. We were all laughing at my shoe and I think her grandkids that it was funny that it happened to the poor white American girl. Haha Of course :) 

We had Zone P-day today! Which was fun! We went to this tiny zone that is really tiny! Haha But it was great fun to spend time with our zone and get to know the Elders a little bit better. So there's an Elder here, Elder Hansen who's from Queen Creek. Anyways, he knows Bro. Workman! He used to be his coach! And he's been to RV plenty of times for sports and what not. It's a small world. Also something cool about him, his girlfriend back at home was on the show "Something Borrowed or Something New." It's like "Say Yes to the Dress." But I guess she wrote them their story and they accepted her and she was on the show- they re did her mothers wedding dress. Haha way crazy, huh? So if you- especially Robyn, Amber, and Abby who watch those shows- watch out for a story on Jake Hansen and Hayden Foote. And tell Bro. Workman "Hi" for him :) Haha I thought it was cool :) Oh and there's an Elder here as well that's is cousins with Sam Wright! Ciera and Seth- I forgot his name but it was funny to find that out :) 

Well it's time to end this...I'm loving it out here! Mom, don't worry too much. Like you said, the Lord is watching over His missionaries. Sometimes, I can feel that protection. I truly feel blessed to be out here and to get to know these people and to  love them. Even though I miss you all, I know that I am needed here. And that I have so much to give to pay back for all the blessing that I have in my life. Thank you for all your love and support and I can't wait to hear from you again!

Love, Sister Holly Burnham 
 


Making pig ears!




The cutest sister missionaries ever!





No comments:

Post a Comment