Monday, June 23, 2014

The Power of Change From the Story of Alma the Younger

Family and Friends!
Wow, can you believe that we are really into summer right now? I hit my year mark pretty soon. It's crazy. So many things are happening too- back at home and here. I get a new mission president on Sunday. CRAZY! It's really hard to say goodbye to President and Sister Peterson but change is required in our lives and it's good. Hard but good. Just like with being a STL- BIG change. Haha But I'm starting to get the hang of it and I'm starting to breath again. Haha I actually get to learn a lot from the other sisters and by going on exchanges with them. At first I felt like I wasn't good enough as a missionary to do so but my district leader, Elder Shaw who actually was in the MTC with me told me that I was called not because of my perfection but because of my experiences. I really recognized that as I was on exchanges with a sister, Sister Kekauoha, who is training a kiribati sister. I was able to relate to her and help her with the challenges she is having because I experienced it. I'm grateful that I had those experiences so now in turn I can help those that are going through it now.

Anyway, the story behind my title. So I was on exchanges with Sister Kekauoha, when we taught Jonathon. Jonathon is Winona's husband who was just baptized this past month with her oldest daughter. We are teaching all her kids right now and the dad was hesitant at first but we finally have been able to teach him. Well, we had a great lesson with him, about repentance. We were trying to teach him the restoration but his concern was how he could change, how he could truly repent and make things right. We read Alma 36 with him and he compared himself to Alma the younger. But the beautiful part in that story is what happened after he repented. It touched Jonathon's heart and he came to church for the first time yesterday. Determined to change and fix things for his family. We have a completed family on the way...it will take some effort and time to get there but it's on the way. He's already changing.
I just love being a missionary...seeing people change and being a part of that. It's amazing. Something else I learned this week from MLC- the missionary leaders meeting was a reminder to act in faith. That's the biggest lesson I learned from President Peterson, to act in faith, but that faith in Jesus Christ. I've done hard things, I'm still doing hard things and seeing others do hard things but we can because we have faith in Jesus Christ. "I just keep going." -President Hinckley. It's a lesson that I think I will treasure the rest of my life.

I pray that we all may be able to act in faith like Jonathon did, to change and to do so in Jesus Christ. Like my favorite scripture Moroni 7:33 says. I love you all and may you see the Lord's hand in your life. I can promise you that it's there.
Mahal na mahal ko kayo! Have a great week making a difference!

Love, Sister Burnham
 


 "Yes, I ate the whole balot! Feathers and all!! So gross!"

 "Exchanges :)"

 "All my MTC batchmates are STL's now! Sweet!"


 "Elder Kauvaka and Elder Mcmillan- favorite all time leaders :)"




"Lunch on p-day! Magandang Tanghali po!"
 
"And President and Sister Peterson :)"

No comments:

Post a Comment